Wednesday 16 June 2010

Spain 0 - Switzerland 1 !!!


This afternoon's game was a shocker! Spain have been widely tipped to win this year's world cup PLUS they were my second choice team (after England of course!) and their loss against Switzerland was generally deemed to be a real surprise. Tonight's menu was chosen from the cuisine of the losing team's country. So, whilst I was out enjoying myself with the team Canderel and other fellow, London food bloggers (check out later blog post), the tall bloke was cooking one of my all time favourite meals: paella con mariscos.

I did spend a fairly long period of time living in Spain, so really it is me who knows about cooking the national dish (one of only very few good dishes in my repertoire) and I taught the tall bloke this tried and tested method:

Paella
Oil your paella pan (or a wok is fine)
Add a chopped onion, one clove of garlic and seasoning - cook gently for a few minutes.
Add rice and saffron - coat all the rice with oil and saffron, by mixing with wooden spoon.
Prepare a stock (chicken or vegetable) with twice as much liquid as rice, and pour into the pan, using the spoon to soften the flow, in order that you do not "wash" the rice. Simmer.
Prepare vegetables - chop 2 colours of bell peppers, a handful of peas (frozen is fine) or whatever you want/have really - and after the stock has reduced almost completely, add to the rice.
Add the seafood (he used a frozen mixed bag and a handful of scallops) - around an over-sized handful per person and mix in.
Cook on a low heat, turning occasionally and I should say, "be careful not to catch it" but actually, that is the best bit (according to me and the good people of Spain).
Serve with lemon quarters and a jug of Sangria.

¡Arriba!

No comments:

Post a Comment