Friday 11 June 2010

Guacamole Recipe




I know the title of this blog is "He cooks, I eat" and that is absolutely the case. He is better at cooking than me. However! In the case of guacamole, because I lived in Mexico for 12 months (when I was 20) it is me who knows the recipe for an authentic, Mexican avocado dip. It is a favourite amongst my friends and every time I visit my family home, Mum always "happens to have" ripe avocados in stock. Hmmm...

I use the food blender for this - it makes the whole process SO much faster and you can more easily achieve the smooth dip texture. Be careful not to blend it too much though, else you'll end up with a green sludge with won't cling to the tortilla chips and looks like baby-food from an alien nation. If you don't have a blender, you will have to mash up the avocado in a bowl with the back of a fork and chop the onions as small as you can.

Ingredients:
2 Ripe avocados (warm them in the sun/on the radiator)
1 small sweet onion
1 large tea spoon of full fat mayonnaise
5 shakes of Tabasco sauce
5 cherry tomatoes (or 1 normal sized)
3 stalks of fresh coriander
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper

Method:
Put all the ingredients (minus the avocado stone/skin of course!) in the blender and pulse until desired texture is achieved. My Mum likes it with the onion quite chunky, but I prefer it slightly smoother. Add Tabasco sauce and/or a squeeze of lime or lemon to taste.

Serves 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment